Plants, can't live with them, can't live without them. Some of us love them and nurture them. And some us kill them - not on purpose of course. But our furbabies, like eat them - usually on purpose. So how many times have you seen your dog eat a plant and wonder "Is that poisonous?" Don't worry, you're not alone. Here are 25 plants that are toxic to your pup.
1. Dieffenbachia: Also known as Giant Dumb Cane and Tropic Snow. This whole plant is toxic and causes symptoms similar Satin Pothos like burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.
2. Dog Daisy: How dare something with the word "dog" in it be toxic to dogs? Well it is! Increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea and dermatitis are the key signs of ingestion.
3. Garlic Plant: Not only will they walk away with stinky breath but along with vomiting, blood in their urine, weakness, high heart rate, excessive panting and their red blood cells will begin to breakdown (aka: hemolytic anemia)
4. Aloe Plant: It might be good for us, but our pups? Not so much. Just like the Corn Plant, Aloe's toxic component is saponin along with aloin. According to the ASPCA, the clinical signs are vomiting, depression, diarrhea, anorexia, tremors and change in urine color.
5. Hydrangea: What makes these flowers toxic? Cyanogenic glycoside. These beautiful giants when ingested can cause vomiting, diarrhea and depression. Even though it is rare, they can cause cyanide intoxication which results in your dog having an upset stomach.
6. Jade Plant: Also known as Baby Jade, Dwarf rubber plant, Jade tree, Chinese rubber plant and Japanese rubber plant. Though the toxic component of the jade plant is unknown, if you have one in your home and is ingested by your dog be on the look out for depression and vomiting.
7. Peace Lily: Many plants of the lily family are toxic to dogs but the Peace or Calla Lily tends to be the most toxic. When ingested, be on the look out for irritation of your dog's tongue or lips, difficulty swallowing, vomiting and excessive salvation.
8. Azaleas: They are part of the Rhododendron family have a toxic ingredient called grayanotoxin. It doesn't matter what part of the plant is ingested, all of it is toxic. Sign of ingestion are drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart beat, loss of appetite, loss of coordination and more.
9. Mint: Fresh and so clean, clean? Not so much! Dogs will develop vomiting and diarrhea. If ingested in large amounts, liver failure could occur from the essential oils.
10. Daisy: How can something so pretty be so toxic? Daises have numerous irritants like sesquiterpene, lactones and pyrethrins plus plenty of side effects like vomiting, diarrhea, excessive saliva and dermatitis.
11. Satin Pothos (silk pothos): Though chewing or ingesting satin pothos isn't life-threatening to your dog, symptoms may occur. What does that mean for your dog? These symptoms are like to occur: oral irritation (intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips, tongue), excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty in swallowing.
12. Asparagus Fern: Also known as, Asparagus, Emerald Feather, Emerald Fern, Sprengeri Fern, Plumosa Fern, Lace Fern, Racemose Asparagus and Shatavari according to ASPCA. The toxic agent of this plant is sapogenins, which can result in abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, or allergic dermatitis with repeated physical exposure.
13. Poinsettia: This one is no-brainer since we hear about it every season. But do you know the side effects? Vomiting and irritation of the mouth. However, ASPCA, says it's over-rated for in toxicity.
14. Peony: The toxic ingredient in this flower is paeonol. It's not only poisonous to dogs but to cats and horses as well. They will experience diarrhea, vomiting and depression after ingested.
15. Tulips: Like the daffodil, tulips are most poisonous when the bulb is ingested. Get them to a vet immediately. They will experience hypersalivation, diarrhea, vomiting and depression.
16. Elephant's Ear: Not the beloved carnival treat we all know and love. But for our pup's, the entire plant can cause mouth irritation, vomiting and difficult for swallowing.
17. Cyclamen: Salivation, vomiting, and diarrhea are just a few symptoms that follow after your dog ingests cyclamen. Following large amounts Fido can experience heart rhythm abnormalities, seizures and death.
18. Mistletoe: Thought they would get a kiss out of this? Nope. They will experience symptoms like an upset stomach, cardiovascular collapse, dyspnea (difficulty breathing), bradycardia (slow heart rate), vomiting, diarrhea and even though it's rare, low blood pressure.
19. Oregano: This savory spice can cause upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea.
20. Shamrock plant: It might be lucky for us hoomans, but for our dog's, not even a little. It's only life-threatening if ingested in large amounts.
21. Tomato plant: Tomato or tomat-oe? Solanine is the toxic component of this plant and ingestion can cause numerous symptoms. Think your dog ingested some of the tomato plant, be on the look out for these symptoms: hypersalivation, severe gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, drowsiness, CNS depression, confusion, behavioral change, weakness, dilated pupils and a slow heart rate.
22. Daffodil: Though they are pretty the flower itself is not as toxic, the bulb is what you need to be worried about. According to the Humane Society. Symptoms consist of vomiting, salvation and diarrhea. Large amounts of the bulbs can cause convulsions, low blood pressure, tremors and cardiac arrhythmia.
23. Peony: The toxic ingredient in this flower is paeonol. It's not only poisonous to dogs but to cats and horses as well. They will experience diarrhea, vomiting and depression after ingested.
24. Corn plant: Also known as corn stalk. The criminal in this plant is saponin. When ingested, dogs experience vomiting (with or without blood), appetite loss, depression or increased salivating.