I worked for a busy veterinary practice during college and we had our fair share of abandoned pets. One of these was an eleven year old Lhasa Apso named Brandy, and without ever laying eyes on her I was guilted into adopting her. She was bossy (she once took on an eighty pound boxer), smelly (whoah the gas!) and spiteful(she’d poop on my bed if left her home alone). Brandy and I had almost four action packed years together, and even though I never intended to own a senior Lhasa Apso, I wouldn’t have traded one second of it! Here are ten things I wish I had known about Lhasas before Brandy came along to adopt me!
1. They can go from sweet lap dog to a whirlwind of activity in 3 seconds flat.
2. They aren’t biting you, they’re licking you. Sometimes their underbites get in the way.
3. They demand luxury accomodations.
4. They believe in revenge.
5. They have a bizzaro evil twin that comes out after bathing or grooming.
6. To share a bed with them you must invest in earplugs (and nose plugs).
7. They are blissfully unaware that they are small.
8. Their howl sounds like an injured banshee. It’s absolutely gut wrenching.
9. They REALLY enjoy your company (like, you may need a restraining order). But let’s face it, the feeling’s mutual.
10. They are the canine equivalent of derp royalty.
What crazy, frustrating, hilarious or maddening behaviors make your Lhasa Apso special?