We are proud to spread awareness about the joy of fostering with our pals Best Friends Animal Society and Toast Meets World! Best Friends NY is looking for pawtential foster parents for pups in the Tri-state area. Find out how you can help here!
We’ve already written about why dogs make the best wingmen and how they can help you find your soul mate. But there’s something special about the connection you make with a foster dog – a dog who needs you, whose life you’re potentially saving – that can uniquely prepare you for finding the love of your life.
1. Nothing teaches you to open your heart to others quite like fostering a dog.
All it takes is just one look into those puppy dog eyes and you’re done for, man.
2. Having a foster dog makes you more attractive to good, compassionate human beings (i.e., soul mate material).
The person you’re dating thinks that fostering dogs is for suckers? Yeah, they’re officially not your soul mate.
3. Fostering dogs can help prepare you for the foibles of your future soul mate.
Clicking jaws and chewing fingernails are nothing compared to pooping on the carpet, eating the poop, and then burping that stanky poop breath all up in your grill.
4. The responsibilities of having a foster dog make you more attentive to the needs of others.
Surely, that’ll come in handy when you find “the one.”
5. Foster dogs teach you how to share things, most especially your bed.
They also teach you what it’s like to wake up with strange cuts and bruises from being sleep-kicked in the middle of the night, but that’s neither here nor there.
6. Foster dogs can teach you how to cuddle with the best of them.
They’re like the Mr. Miyagi of cuddling. Cuddle on, cuddle off. Cuddle on, cuddle off.
7. Fostering dogs prepares you for the emotional roller coaster of falling in love.
Getting broken up with is almost boring by comparison.
8. Foster dogs can help you find your soul mate even when you’re not looking.
Replace the above animated dogs with real foster dogs, and it’s just like the movie! I’m sure this sort of thing happens all the time in real life.
9. Fostering dogs teaches you the value of learning to let go.
You might have to say goodbye to a lot of potential soul mates before you find the real deal.
10. Nobody’s better at forgiving than a foster dog who just wants to be loved.
Don’t sweat the small stuff, like if someone accidentally steps on your tail or leaves the cap off the toothpaste.
11. And finally – sometimes, in the process of fostering a dog, you find that your soul mate was right in front of you the whole time.
Happy adoption day!
If you cannot foster, shelters and rescue groups need all kinds of helpers on every level, from donating or volunteering to raising awareness, there are countless ways you can help. Contact Best Friends Animal Society to find out how you can do your part to help make New York City the largest No-Kill City in the world.