National Mutt Day was created in 2005 by animal welfare advocate Colleen Paige to raise awareness of the plight of mixed breed dogs in shelters.
It’s celebrated annually on both December 2nd and July 31st by promoting adoption worldwide. Mutts make up 75% of shelter populations and the biggest percentage of dogs euthanized due to shelter overpopulation.
Thanks to beautiful humans, mutts are saved and loved every single day. The following 20 pups are proud of their unknown origins and show us that personality is so much more important than pedigree!
Learn more about National Mutt Day on their website.
1. “Make sure you wait until everyone is smiling like me, ok?”
2. “This is the only spot in the whole house where I can illuminate with the brightness of a thousand suns.”
3. “Scoot over? Sorry that’s really confusing. You mean sit? We can do that.”
4. “I just wanted to make sure there was an even number.”
5. When you’re the only bridesmaid without a matching dress color because they ran out of it. #WhyAmIEvenHere
6. “Remind me again why you drink this stuff every day?”
7. “Brothers and sisters! Join me in this rejuvenating and homeopathic naturally formed earth pond!”
8. When you have no choice but you go with it because treats are involved. Probably.
9. “Well did she try looking under the bed? In the sofa? Why would I want grandma’s dentures?” #IDontWishForHumanTeeth
10. “I am ready for the outdoor musical festivities now.”
11. “Tell me I’m still cuter.”
12. When you remember the last episode of LOST.
13. “I don’t really know what they mean by ‘Park Closed’.”
14. “What’s the deal with that Golden Retriever and all the parakeets again?”
15. When mom is grabbing a second spoonful of peanut butter even though she only eats one. #ItsForMe #IKnowIt #SheOnlyEatsOne
16. “I thought the waters were only for drinking!! This is amazing!!!”
17. “Gotta keep your paws safe even during day naps. You never know.”
18. “I thought we agreed on blue flowers. I know that’s not blue.”
19. “The difference between me and this dishwasher is that I love my job.”