Mixed-breed dog owners are are always being asked what kind of pup their mutt is. Not all of us know, but here’s the subtext behind some of our shrugs.
1. I have no idea.
“My vet told me she’s part Corgi, part Internet meme.”
2. No, I haven’t bought a DNA kit yet.
“I’m telling you, the results will come back ‘human in a dog costume.'”
3. Meh. Who cares?
“All I know is he’s my soulmutt.”
4. “Oh, boy. Um, well… how much time you got???”
5. If I say “Pit Bull” are you going to say something about them being “mean” and force me to go on my misunderstood-pitbull rant?
6. The non-conformist kind.
7. Not sure–but if you have 45 minutes I’d be happy to go through my list of theories and reasonings behind each. Take a seat.
“The markings look like a German Shepherd, but the eyes are all Ziggy Stardust.”
8. If I just say he’s a “Snickerdoodle McFlurry SoundHound of Baskerville”–will you believe me?
“They’re very rare.”
9. This time I am just saying “mutt” and I’m leaving it at that.
10. I can’t say. She doesn’t define herself with socio-normative breed names.
11. The BEST kind of dog!
BONUS for all the spotted-mutt owners…
12. You’re about to ask me if he’s a Dalmatian, aren’t you?