Not all dogs are practiced models with picture-perfect hugs…
Little do people know, dogs in reality can have quite awkward moments as well.
1. Like these two. The Boxer is like “I just want to love you…” while his counterpart doesn’t seem amused. At all.
2. Size differences can make things really weird. Like when your legs are 6 inches tall and his are 2 feet in length.
3. Pretty sure this little pup didn’t see the running tackle hug coming.
4. No doubt these two are whispering sweet nothings in each others’ ears as they hug it out.
5. When you hug someone you think you know, but it turns out it’s a stranger. That’s what we would call a faux paw.
6. Err, they’ve been hugging for like two minutes already. It’s probably about time to let go.
7. When you’re going in for a side hug but they try to give you a full on hug…
8. This one is often referred to as the full-frontal hug. The open-mouthed “OH” face is optional, though.
9. This pup is thinking, “OMG so excited to see my BFFL; must hug now through this super inconveniently placed fence!”
10. Sometimes the approach of the hug can be way too aggressive. We call this the “Why Won’t You Let Me Love You” approach.
11. When you’re trying to make a hug work despite the obstacles in your way.
12. This pup is clearly experiencing the “this-is-nice-but-I just-realized-I’m-not-ready-for-a-commitment” hug.
13. Some dogs take an “It’s only awkward if you make it awkward” approach and just latch right on. We call this the “Uncle Lester” approach.
14. When you go in for a high-five but get a hug in return…
15. No shame in a little on-the-floor action…you know, if you want to take it there.
16. Hugs can get really awkward when you don’t know where to put your hands.
17. This pup clearly didn’t know what to do, so his brain (in panic mode) went directly to HUG THE HAND. HUG IT AS HARD AS YOU CAN.
18. But the most awkward hug award goes to these two dogs, who look like you when that drunk co-worker gets a little too hands-y at the company party. Someone call that dog an Uber already.