A Yorkshire Terrier in Ellsworth, Maine drove a pick-up truck into a lake this past Saturday.
Yes, you read that correctly. A Yorkshire Terrier, the little pupsqueaks that rarely weigh more than ten pounds, drove a 2010 GMC pickup truck into a lake. The Yorkie’s owner was walking the pup around Branch Lake when, after encountering another dog, he put his feisty pup into the backseat of his idling truck.
Ellsworth Police Department spokesman Harold Page said the two dog owners were briefly chatting when the man noticed his second most valuable possession rolling away with his most valuable pupsession straight into the lake. The truck sank about 10 feet into the water, but luckily a nearby family friend swam in to rescue the pup, and nobody got hurt.
Page thinks the Yorkie “apparently knocked the truck out of gear and it rolled into the water,” but there’s only one person who really knows what went on in that truck, and that’s the Yorkie. Here’s our 10 best guesses…
1. She saw a squirrel on the other side of the lake.
2. She just watched Thelma and Louise and got tired of waiting for her owner/ patriarchy in general.
3. Being from Yorkshire she wasn’t used to driving on the right side of the road.
4. She thought she was playing a game of ‘Red Range Rover, Red Range Rover.’
5. She was teaching her owner a lesson about leaving dogs unattended in the car.
6. She was listening to Carrie Underwood, and thought she’d let Jesus take the wheel.
7. She thought she was driving a smart car.
8. In dog math, ‘ten and two’ is seventy and fourteen, so she didn’t know where to put her paws on the wheel.
9. She was practicing getting her license furmit.
10. Lindsay Lohan snuck in the driver’s seat when no one was watching.
Not that anyone really cares, but the truck was towed out later as well. We just care about the adventurous Yorkie being OK, and would recommend that next time she needs to get somewhere, to take the bus.