October is here! Leaves are changing, pumpkin spice lattes are abundant, and Howl-oween is just around the corner. Chances are you’re going to dress your pup up, whether fluffbutt agrees or not. Put your DIY skills to the test with some of these costume ideas to make sure your pup is the best dressed on the block.
1. Pirate: Surely your dog is a pro at saying “Arf!” How hard can “Arrrrrr” be? This no-sew costume costs less than $5, and takes less than 20 minutes to make. Click here for the tutorial from Luigi and Me.
2. Football player: Celebrate Halloween and football season at the same time! Make your pup a linebarker! Purchase a jersey and football toy from your local pet store, or if you’re crafty, make them yourself!
3. Chia pet: Ch-ch-ch-chia! Sure, you only had a Chia pet because you couldn’t get a real dog. But now you can have the best of both worlds! This eco-friendly costume tutorial comes from Inhabitat.
4. Hostess cupcake: This costume is as sweet as can be! If you want to learn to make your pooch into a cupcake (why wouldn’t you?), then hop over to Sew DoggyStyle for the instructions.
6. Spider-Dog: Remember the adorable spider-dog that hilariously scared the crap out of people? You can do the same with your spider-dog. Get the instructions from Martha Stewart.
7. Darth Vader: For all the nerdy dog parents out there (there’s no shame in that game), these Star Wars costumes are perfect. Makezine has the instructions for Darth Vader, Princess Leia, and an Ewok:
8. Princess Leia:
10. Devil: Definitely one of the most iconic Howloween costumes around, devil dog is pretty simple. The horns will do the trick, but if you want to get really fancy, throw in a red sweater and tail too.
11. Lion: As far as costumes go, this one is pretty simple — just one piece. But we aren’t lyin’ when we say it’s a crowd pleaser. To make your pooch a marvelous mane, check out this tutorial on Instructables.
12. Raggedy Ann: Pull out your scissors and yarn. It doesn’t have to be perfect. After all, this is a Raggedy Ann doll.
13. Pinata: How adorable is this uber colorful pinata pup? It involves some hand stitching and hot glue, so get ready to be crafty! Find the tutorial here.
14. Ladybug: Usually, we dread a ladybug invasion in our homes. This is a ladybug I’d give lots of puppy ruv to, though! If you want to dress your dog up like a little ladybug, you can find the instructions here.
15. Jester: This costume is a hoot! Pros: It’s hilarious and adorable. Con: I hope you like jingle bells! If you want to honor your little goofball with a fitting outfit, check out the templates and step-by-step instructions here.
16. Ninja Turtle: Craft a mask from some felt, and get ready to say “Cowabunga, dude!” Just be sure to keep the pizza out of reach.
17. Princess: No doubt you live with a diva. Costume her in a dress and tiara, so she can be your little princess for the night.
18. Cowboy: Yeehaw! Throw on a hat, and call him pawwwwtner. Your doggie will be ridin’ in style.
19. Pirate: Sure, it’s the second pirate costume, but this one is for very special pups. Tripawds represent! Get the tutorial at Instructables.