It’s been almost a year since Olympic silver medalist Gus Kenworthy won the hearts of millions when he rescued three stray dogs at the Sochi Olympics (and kept posing with handfuls of puppies. Can we make that an official Olympic event?). Gus recently took a break from his insane ski competition schedule to give us the inside scoop on his pups and their crazy first-year shenanigans. Here’s what he had to say:
1. “Their personalities have started to come out and they’re really different: Jake is independent and a total goofball. He’s a cuddler but will also randomly wander away.”
2. “Mishka is loyal, sweet, and faithful. He’s basically a shadow.”
3. The two are NOT brothers! Jake’s Mom was rescued as well, and currently lives with Gus’s mom.
4. Mishka was an accidental rescue! According to Gus, “We had people out looking for a certain puppy that we had seen earlier, then we got a knock on our door and there was Mishka. It wasn’t the right puppy but we couldn’t say no!”
5. “They’re great pups but still have had plenty of training uh… accidents.”
6. “Jake took a gigantic poop on a furry white rug at a stranger’s house.”
7. Gus one day returned home to find Mishka asleep on a kitchen counter after he’d eaten all the food that someone had accidentally left out.
8. The boys have ruined COUNTLESS shoes.
9. Due to Gus’s competition schedule, they’re currently living with Gus’s best friend Robin on his farm in Vancouver.
10. They LOVE farm life, so much so that they may protest when Gus takes them back to Denver when the ski season is over.
11. Gus has tried their dog treats, and found them not too bad.
12. Gus continues to be a strong supporter of dog adoption programs.
13. Can’t get enough of the Sochi Pups? You can keep up with their pup-tacular activities through their Instagram. Follow them here: @thesochipups.