Howl-o-Ween provides the perfect excuse to dress your fur goblin up and make lots of peanut butter and pumpkin pooch treats. But you have to watch out for some of the hooman treats people have on hand for the spooky howliday, since they can turn out to be dangerous fur your dog. Keep these quintessential Howl-o-Ween treats away from your pup.
Keep the candy bowl away from Fido! Sweets contain xylitol, which can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop, leading to liver failure. Early signs of liver failure include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. If you notice these signs, see your vet immediately. Also, candy wrappers can cause life threatening bowel obstructions.
Among the candy bowl, but also in other sweet treats, will be chocolate. Chocolate can be fatal for dogs, especially dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Keep the chocolate to yourself. Your pooch will be safe and it means more chocolate for you. Talk about a win-win situation.
Raisins are in the top four food-related Halloween hazards for dogs, according to Pet Poison Helpline. People like to give out mini boxes of raisins as a healthier treat (which is a nasty trick if you ask us). Unfortunately, raisins are extremely poisonous to dogs. Very small amounts can cause kidney failure. Keep these far away from Fido.
While your pumpkin and decorative corn aren’t toxic, they can give your pooch quite an upset tummy. And your dog could easily become burned by a candle in a jack-o-lantern. Try to keep your dog away from the Howl-o-Ween decor.
If you’re planning to get a little rowdy, make sure you remain responsible and don’t leave unattended drinks somewhere your pup can reach. Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, coma and even death.
The howlidays are a time for baking, but this nut is toxic to pooches. Just a small amount can cause negative reactions, including weakness in the back legs, vomiting and diarrhea.
Featured image via @moo_the_dachshund
Have a yappy and safe howl-o-ween!